Golf is one of the most famous sports in the world and people love it for a reason. It may not be the most active thing to do but it does require a ton of skills and mental strength. Good players make it look easy, but golf is really hard, no matter what you may think or how it may look when played well. And if you want to build your mental strength, you should read this article.
One of the most important parts of playing golf well – aside from a strong mind and impeccable skills – is having appropriate golf clubs. Now, you may be used to other sports where there isn’t much variety in what you can get. For example, there are not plenty of different types of balls for football or basketball.
But in golf, you have so many different club options and other equipment you need for playing. If you want to play just one round, you would need a driver, fairway woods, putter, irons, wedges and so on. There are also hybrid clubs that represent a mixture of iron and wood – the best of both worlds.
However, all of this is confusing for a beginner. You need advice on what type of clubs you really need and why. You need to know how much money is acceptable to spend so you don’t spend too much or too little. You need more specifics.
If you’re a beginner golf player, here are some tips you’ll find useful. And here’s an article that will help you learn the terms and gameplay: https://www.golfdigest.com/gallery/golf-beginners-tips
Why Golf Clubs Matter
When learning how to play, one of the most important things is to have the right equipment. If you’re a beginner, the clubs you’ll buy will likely have large clubfaces and a bit shorter shaft. They are designed to make your job easier until you get used to the real deal. They make it easier to get the ball flying even if the contact wasn’t quite right. But, this is a common issue when you’re just starting out. They are obviously less powerful than the real thing, but they allow you to be more consistent and not to lose hope while you improve your technique.
This is a simple tactic, positive conditioning, to make it more fun and easier for you to learn. If you use golf clubs that makes it easier to put more balls in the hole which makes it fun for you and you will enjoy the game more. This means that you’ll want to play the game more and then your skills will improve quickly.
This is precisely why golf clubs matter. So, it’s a good thing when you spend more time researching them.
How To Choose Your Golf Clubs
On each golf course, you need to use 14 clubs – that’s how many you’re allowed. Here’s more on that: https://golftips.golfweek.com/many-golf-clubs-can-carry-1416.html However, you probably won’t use this many at the beginning. Most likely, you will use around nine clubs and this could be your whole first set. Of course, you won’t use all of them often.
Here’s a list of things that you need:
- A driver – This is the longest club you’ll use and it will have the largest head. It’s also the main club for tee shots. Tee shots happen as a start, before each hole and it will help you push your ball the furthest which is why it’s called a driver.
- Fairway wood – You’ll use this club on the fairway and it will help you lift your ball off the turf and it will give you some distance. While it’s not the most accurate one, it will give you a decent amount of accuracy.
- Short and mid irons – These are the clubs that can be used in many different situations and they will help you get your ball in the green. You can get plenty of different irons, but for your first set, you will probably use irons that are numbered from 6-9. These work best for beginners and you can improve a lot by learning to use them. The higher the number you choose, the easier the ball will fly. A mid-range is 6 or 7 while short is between 8 and 9. The more you play and practice, the more certain you will be of when and where to use each of these different clubs. You will probably add 3,4 and 5 to your golf bag as you improve.
- Wedge for pitching – This one is commonly used as a way to shoot close to the green. You use it by getting the club under the ball and then lifting it high which will help the ball stop quickly and stay close to a hole.
- Sand wedge – This one is designed to help you swing through the sand without getting stuck.
- Putter – This is the one you will use on the green and you want to get the ball in the hole. It will have a flat face and it will make it easy to hit the ball in a straight line.
Of course, this is not the end of the list as there are many more clubs and variations that you could use for your needs. You can see some of the best sets right here. You will most likely need only these until you develop a sense of your own on what you need and what would work for you best.
The Cost of Golf Clubs
You can spend a ton of money on golf clubs. Especially so if you buy them all separately and you don’t really know what you should pay. People think that golf clubs and equipment are silly expensive and that’s why they usually spend a lot. But, this is not the case. For a beginner, you will probably spend about $150 to $350 on all nine clubs of decent quality and this is enough for starters. As you go you will probably invest according to your needs and wants – you might decide to spend more money on top-notch equipment and more varied clubs, but for now, this is all you need to spend.
Your first set of clubs won’t be your only set of clubs nor will it serve you for your entire life. The purpose of it is to help you learn, develop your technique and get an idea of how to play and what you need. Find a good set with positive reviews and enjoy using it. This way, even if you stop playing, you haven’t wasted a ton of money. Have fun with your clubs and the sport itself, and hopefully, you’ll keep playing it for a long time.
Leave a Reply