Magnesium plays a crucial role in human nutrition. It is found in a copious amount in the human body; however, some people may still lack the mineral even if they are eating a healthy diet. Magnesium is useful for the brain and the whole body. It is the critical part of over 300 enzymatic reactions that take place in our body that includes transmission of nerve impulses, and synthesis of proteins and fatty acids among others.
A human body contains around 25 grams of magnesium out of which majority are stored in the skeletal system while the rest are present in the bodily fluids, soft tissues, and muscles.
Should you be taking magnesium supplements?
According to the experts, more than 70% of the adult population in the world is deficient in magnesium. It is found that deficiency in magnesium can lead to type 2 diabetes in adults, hypertension, sudden cardiac death, elevated C-reactive protein, atherosclerotic vascular disease, metabolic syndrome, colon cancer, osteoporosis, asthma, and migraine headache.
The best way to make sure you are getting enough magnesium is to eat foods rich in fiber. Fiber-rich foods are rich in magnesium. Foods like green leafy vegetables, broccoli, whole grains, legumes, almonds, seeds, coffee, magnesium, meats, and dairy products are a good source of magnesium and should be included at least once in your daily diet. However, for individuals, who are busy with their work or aren’t able to cook food for themselves, are advised to consume magnesium health supplements in order to tackle the deficiency.
Sites like Yes Wellness offer good-quality magnesium health supplements.
Magnesium is necessary for the maintenance of bones and proper growth. It is also imperative for proper functioning of the muscles, nerves, and many other parts of the body. In the stomach, magnesium neutralizes the stomach acid and allows smooth movement of stools through the intestine.
What causes magnesium deficiency in humans?
There are several factors that can cause magnesium deficiency in humans. Some of them may include:
- The water we drink contains a lot of minerals, especially fluoride in abundance. When fluoride combines with magnesium, it forms an insoluble compound. On the other hand, the water purifiers we use these days refines water from all its minerals including the necessary ones. So the water we drink mostly is plain water without the necessary minerals.
- The refining of sugars, flours, and grains steals all the essential nutrients from them.
- A decay of food and foods that are transported leads to magnesium loss.
- Over the counter medications and antibiotic drugs kill all the bacteria in the gut including the good ones. Hence, this destroys our body’s ability to absorb nutrients from foods and supplements.
- Digestive disorders caused by consumption of gluten and refined grains can trigger leaky gut that ultimately makes our body to fail the necessary nutrients.
- The depletion of soil results in the generation of products that lacks magnesium.
Benefits of taking magnesium supplements
Magnesium health supplements are useful for treating conditions like:
- Pre-eclampsia and eclampsia (high blood pressure during pregnancy)
Taking magnesium intravenously through intravenous therapy or injection is considered the best treatment option for treating pregnant women suffering from high blood pressure. It is also helpful in treating eclampsia that includes the occurrence of seizures in pregnant women. Using magnesium in such scenarios has reportedly shown to reduce the risks.
- Magnesium Deficiency
Magnesium health supplements are helpful in preventing and treating magnesium deficiency. The main factors that lead to magnesium deficiency include kidney dysfunction, diarrhea, vomiting, heart failure, liver disorder, and other conditions.
Magnesium health supplements can help lower the symptoms of heartburn. Consuming magnesium as an antacid has shown numerous benefits including assisting those suffering from indigestion. Experts say magnesium hydroxide is the best supplement to treat indigestion; however, any magnesium compound will work.
Magnesium acts as a laxative in treating constipation. It helps neutralize the stomach acid and prepare the bowel for medical procedures.
What are the consequences of magnesium deficiency in the body?
Magnesium is processed by our body for rudimentary functions including allowing our heartbeat to make necessary hormones. It is crucial for having a properly working metabolism and maintaining a healthy body weight. Magnesium is an exhaustible mineral that gets drained out from our daily activities. You need to regularly fuel your body with magnesium else, your body suffers.
The main reason for magnesium deficiency is eating lack of magnesium-rich foods. We are more focused towards eating low-carb, low-fat diets that feed our body but fails to provide the necessary nutrients.
Consuming magnesium supplements is so important that if you don’t, the deficiency will result in noticeable symptoms including:
- Mental disorders like mood swings, anxiety, behavioral changes, and depression
- Nutrient deficiencies including potassium, calcium, vitamin B1, and vitamin K
- Peroxynitrite damage that can lead to Alzheimer’s disease or glaucoma
- Kidney or liver damage
- Cardiovascular disease
- Trouble sleeping, insomnia
- Fatigue, feeling exhausted
Leave a Reply